Everything you wanted to know about your E Street Spam & Virus Filter (Barracuda)
Printer friendly version
Article # 570
...and were afraid to ask...
SPAM & VIRUS FILTER OVERVIEW
What is it?
The E Street Spam & Virus Filter (aka “Barracuda”) is a "firewall" or "filter" placed on your Email that screens your Email for Spam, Spyware, and Viruses BEFORE they get to your inbox. The E Street Spam & Virus Filter comes with "@estreet.com" email accounts and is available as an add-on for private domain name owners (@yourdomain.com).
But How does it work?
Once the E Street Spam & Virus Filter is enabled, your mail is screened by complicated secret-squirrel advanced algorithms. Viruses and Malware and real bad-guy stuff is blocked outright... and remaining mail is either:
- Allowed - Mail comes through to your mailbox.
- Quarantined The Quarantine holds mail that it thinks might be spam. The E Street Spam & Virus Filter algorithms are very accurate when filters are tuned to your settings, but occasionally legitimate mail will get trapped, thus the importance of periodically checking your quarantine.
Each account has its own quarantine / web-based account control panel available at barracuda1.estreet.com From this interface you manage messages in the quarantine and adjust the settings for your spam & virus filters as needed (screenshots of the quarantine / web-based account control panel and highlights are below).
If you are having trouble accessing using your spam and virus filter quarantine, see this FAQ article: kb.estreet.com/article.lasso?article=441
The E Street Spam & Virus Filter will send you email notifications with a list of your current quarantine contents. From the notification message you can:
- "Deliver" the message to your email inbox
- "Whitelist", sending the message to your inbox AND adds the sender address to your whitelist to allow future messages
- "Delete" the message from the quarantine
- "View" the message from the spam filter control panel before choosing to deliver the message to your inbox
For extra E Street Spam & Virus Filter tips see:
THE QUARANTINE/CONTROL PANEL
MAIN MENU - QUARANTINE INBOX
PREFERENCES PAGES (4 pages)
Article # 570