Configuring Mac Mail versions 3.x to send/receive POP email
Printer friendly version
Article # 731
These instructions are for configuring Mac OS X Mail version 2.x. The concepts for setting up earlier versions are similar, but layouts and wording may be different.
You will need the following information in order to setup an account.
Incoming Mail Server:
Outgoing Mail Server:
You can look up the settings for your e-mail here:
With Mail running:
1) - Go to the 'Mail' menu and select 'Preferences'.
2) - Click on the 'Accounts' button near the top of the preferences window.
3) - Click the 'Add Account' button. This is the box with a '+' in it, found under the left hand 'Accounts' column.
4) - Mail will startup a wizard to help in the configuration. The first step will ask you to enter the following:
- Full Name: This is the name people will see when you send them an e-mail. It can be any name or nickname you like.
- Email Address: Enter your email address
- Password: Enter your email password
- Click 'Continue' to go to the next step.
5) Now enter the following:
- Account type: POP
- Description: type your email address -
- Incoming Mail Server: Enter your incoming mail server
- User Name: Enter your user name
- Password - If you don't want to have to type in your e-mail password every time you check your mail, enter your password.
- Click 'Continue' to go to the next step. Mail will attempt to contact the server and verify the incoming settings you have entered. If you are not online, be patient. It can take a few minutes for the next screen to appear while mail attempts to check the settings you have entered.
6) On the following screen, enter the following:
- Description: Enter your outgoing server name -
- Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): Enter your outgoing mail server
- Check 'Use Authentication’ and enter the same username/password you had entered previously in the incoming login section. Your username is your full email address.
- Click 'Continue' to go to the next screen. Mail will again attempt to contact the server and verify the outgoing settings you have entered. If you are not online, be patient. It can take a few minutes for the next screen to appear while mail attempts to check the settings you have entered.
7) Verify all of your settings then click 'Continue'
8)Click 'Done' unless you want to enter another email account.
Article # 731
Platform: OS X